Our eyes are utterly remarkable things and they are, in actuality, capable of much more than we ourselves may even realize. Immeasurably intricate and flawlessly designed, our eyes truly are incredible and central to how we live our lives. Let’s take a look at ten amazing facts about our eyes that you may not have been aware of below:
- Every baby is color blind when they are first born. It is not until later that their eyes develop to see colors properly.
- The average human’s eye is capable of processing roughly 36,000 pieces of information per hour – which is 600 per minute.
- Each eye’s retina will contain around 120 million rods for vision at night and around 8 million color-sensitive cones for viewing objects in daylight.
- Adults will blink approximately 10,000,000 times annually.
- The human eye is capable of focusing on up to 50 objects in a single second.
- Over 10,000 years ago, everybody would have had brown eyes as it wasn’t until this time that the first blue eye person existed and everyone with blue eyes today can be traced back to that individual in some way.
- Contrary to popular belief, carrots don’t actually improve your eyesight – but the beta carotene found in carrots is beneficial to eyesight but doesn’t literally improve it.
- Only 1/6th of the eye is actually visible to the outside world.
- Interestingly, the human eye-ball remains the same size from the day that you are born until the day that you die.
- You will blink less frequently when you are reading which is why you will often feel more tired when you read.
So, there you have it – our 10 amazing facts about eyes. It is imperative that you take proper care of your eyes because they are a delicate instrument and can be prone to various different ailments and problems which is why booking regular eye check-ups is a must.
You can book a eye examination online at Barnard Levit.