The internet is filled with different tips on how to whiten your teeth ranging from the different treatments available from dental professionals to reviews of the various over the counter products you can buy such as whitening strips and toothpastes. Another section is devoted to the various different natural remedies you can use for discolored or not satisfactorily white teeth.
With there being so many natural teeth whitening remedies out there it can be a little confusing knowing which one to pick so here are the top six recommended all natural remedies for making your smile whiter.
1) Baking Soda â€“ this is one of the most traditional methods of whitening teeth and references can be found to people using this over 100 years ago. It is very effective in removing stains and really doesnâ€™t require much work. In order to use it just combine one tablespoon of baking soda with two of water making a paste which you then dip your toothbrush in after warming it under the tap. Scrub your teeth for just over three minutes then rinse thoroughly. Donâ€™t do this more than once per day and give your teeth a break every third day.
2) Hydrogen Peroxide â€“ You can obtain this over the counter at your local drug store although the concentrations you will obtain there will not be as high as you will find in many commercial teeth whitening toothpastes. The application is very straightforward, just rinse your mouth with the peroxide straight after you finish brushing then rinse again with water. Avoid swallowing any of the peroxide or water rinse. You can also use this rinse after you have brushed your teeth with the baking soda mixture.
3) Apple Cider Vinegar â€“ Brushing your teeth each night before bed with apple cider vinegar is a very simple way to whiten your teeth naturally and it has the added benefit of killing off any other bacteria that may be left over in your mouth from regular brushing. Make sure to rinse the vinegar completely out with water once you have completed brushing with it.
4) Water with Rock Salt â€“ This is a very slow process for teeth whitening but doesnâ€™t taste quite as bad as vinegar. For this you just need to add about a tablespoon of rock salt to enough water to rinse your mouth a couple times. Swish the mixture vigorously around in your mouth for a minute or two to give it a chance to gently cleanse the surface of your teeth. Thoroughly rinse out your mouth when you are done. This process is also useful in keeping dental implants bacteria free.
5) Vegetables â€“ Eating a variety of raw crunchy vegetables is a great way to prevent discoloration on your teeth while also increasing your vitamin intakes that your body needs to keep your teeth strong and healthy. The best ones to eat are carrot sticks, broccoli, celery and cucumber. The pieces of vegetable as you chew them, act as a natural scrubbing agent for removing stains.
6) Fruit â€“ There are a couple of different ways to use fruit to whiten your teeth, the most common method that people talk about is using concentrated lemon juice to scrub your teeth. While this is effective in the short term the extremely high level of acid actually damages your tooth enamel so regular use of this method will cause you problems later on. A less damaging solution is put a piece of the peel of a lemon or an orange against your teeth for 10-15 minutes then rinse with water to remove and excess acidity.
About the Author
Melissa Cameron is a devoted wife and stay at home mom of three. Melissa loves to research tips and other advice and is currently researching the importance of kidâ€™s dentistry with the help of Dr. Diane Bird, a Vancouver BC dentist.