Earlier last week, 9-year-old Hally Yust was infected with a brain-eating amoeba known as Naegleria fowleri. This fresh, still water amoeba is a rare form of infection with only 34 reported infections in the past nine years.
The parasite enters through the nose and will eventually work its way through the nervous system and brain and has devastating effects. Symptoms emerge about five days after the infection has taken hold ranging from headache, fever, nausea, vomiting and death. Over the past 50 years, of the 130 reported infections only three people have survived.
Even though the as Naegleria fowleri will cause severe damage, it is not the biggest danger in summer water activities. It is unpredictable whether or not someone will become infected even if exposed to it. The amoeba also cannot be contracted through drinking water contaminated with the parasite. The safest bet is to avoid swimming in warm, still, fresh bodies of water. Use nose plugs if you do and try not to stir up the bottom sediment.
See full story at cnn.com