Snoring is a common issue that most of us have had to deal with. But very few people realize that snoring is a medical problem that can have enormous impact on health and sleep.
Effect of Snoring on Health
- Snoring can often be a sign of an undiagnosed medical disorder like sleep apnea or thyroid disorder.
- Snoring by itself is not a reason for concern, but it could be a disguise for several other high risk health disorders like heart trouble, hypertension, diabetes etc.
- Snoring may be an indicator of upper respiratory infections, sinusitis, and obstructions in the airway due to growths like polyps or enlargement of the tonsils, adenoids or even of the thyroid gland.
- Chronic snoring can lead to disruption of REM sleep and thus lead to numerous effects on health like obesity, digestive disorders, irritability, stress, fatigue, poor memory, weak concentration, lack of focus, low libido and lack of stamina.
- Snoring has also been proved to increase the risk of developing hypertension, and research indicates that, longer you have been suffering from snoring, greater are your chances at developing high blood pressure.
- If you have been suffering from snoring without any sleep apnea then you stand 1.5 times more chance of developing hypertension. If your snoring is complicated with sleep apnea disorder, then you stand 2.5 times more risk of developing hypertension.
Effect of Snoring on Sleep
- Snoring can cause sleep disorders like Insomnia and is often a common cause for poor quality sleep, that does not refresh or rejuvenate the person on waking up in the morning.
- Snoring can also cause or be an indicator of serious disorders like sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is dangerous to health as it can lead to hypertension, strokes and even sudden cardiac arrest
Snoring should not be neglected or looked upon as a habit or sleep routine. It could very well be the first, and sometimes the only indicator of a grave medical disorder that is lying hidden in the body.
About the Author: Tim Fortin is a trainer at Human Health Specialists, an alternative medicine practice in Scottsdale Arizona. He works with individuals who want to achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Try a Snore-No-More Pillow to see if it helps you sleep better over at the BHI store.