When a crease below the chin is noticed, that is the sign of having a double chin. The main causes of a double chin are loose facial muscles, hereditary pre-disposition (genetics), and caloric intake and age. The majority of persons with a double chin are usually overweight but as mentioned previously there are exceptions. Certain areas of the body predisposed to fat storage and the chin is one of those. Steps can be taken to prevent a double chin such as reducing the daily caloric intake, put in place a regular exercise routine. Method such as the chewing of sugar-free gum and also when sitting or standing pay attention to your posture: good posture will keep the muscle of the jaw line firm. When the cause is due to being overweight then a general diet and exercise plan should be considered; however, there are specific exercise to target the chin area. The form and shape of the chin can be corrected with exercise or plastic surgery. Plastic surgery is invasive and has its risk as a result should be considered as a last resort. The chin exercises if done regularly will lift and reduce the fat under the chin. These exercises should be done once to twice per week for the best results. Consider the following exercises to help get rid of a double chin.
- The shovel: open mouth as wide as possible and then place the bottom lip over the bottom teeth, then move your jaw up and down as if you were trying to shovel something.
- The Tennis Ball method: Place a tennis ball under chin for resistance: Open mouth as wide as possible and hold for 10 seconds, relax, and repeat.
- Place hand on forehead and try to push head forward, using hand for resistance.
- While either standing or seated, ensure proper posture with spine straightened: gently rotate head leading with chin from shoulder to shoulder.
- With proper posture rotate neck with semi circular movement, eventually moving to full circular rotations of neck.
- Sit on the floor with legs crossed, place right hands on the floor to the side in order provide balance: weight should not be placed on hand. Place the left hand straight up in the air with the left palm facing the left cheek, then place the left hand on the right cheek and pull head gently to the left side. Repeat by switch hands.
- Lie on back with legs straight and arms near thighs. You should be looking towards the ceiling, then move chin towards chest and hold for two (2) seconds. Do 25 repetitions.
- Lie on back with legs straight and arms near thighs. Lift head off floor so that the chin is the highest point on the head. Hold for two (2) seconds, do 30 repetitions.
Tips and Warnings
- If pain or discomfort is felt and make adjustments that are suitable for you.
- If the cause of your double chin is water retention then visit your doctor.
Jenny is a free lancer writer and content builder of www.libertyreferences.com/