They say that having healthy food choices is the key to maintaining a balanced diet. But it is easier said than done, especially for a working professional who lives a busy schedule.
As they struggle to fit the 8 hours that they have at work, it is easier for them to get tempted to rely on foods that can be easily bought from vendo machines like chocolates and junk food, or cheesburgers, muffins and the like that are readily available for take out and delivery which more often than not, are unhealthy food choices. Aside from having a busy schedule, the stress that work brings also has a huge effect on one one’s eating habits and so they end up to be resolving to food to combat stress, by overeating or easily giving in to food temptations.
But stress and a hectic work schedule should not be an excuse to start eating healthy. This can be a big challenge, yes, but here are a few tips to make things a little easier for a busy working professional to start to eat healthy at work:
1. Start your day right with a healthy breakfast. As the cliché goes, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as it will load you with the energy that you need to help you get going throughout the day. By eating heavy and healthy breakfast, you will feel full until lunchtime which can help eliminate mid-day snacking which usually involves food that are rich in calories and sugar like chips, cookies, coffee and more.
2. If you really can’t avoid eating something during the middle of the day, you can avoid resorting to unhealthy snacks by filling your drawers with healthy food items like fruits, vegetables, nuts, and more that you can grab and eat in between your big meals. Also, eating small frequent meals will also make you feel full during lunch time or dinner time which can help in reducing food intake which is helpful for those who want to lose weight.
3. Prepare food the night before so you can have packed lunch that you can bring to work. Bringing in your own food will give you total control of the portions and will make you have better and healthy food choices.
4. If a busy schedule at work prompts you to order food for take out or delivery, make sure that you select food that are low in fat, cholesterol and calorie. There are various websites and even phone applications that can help you check the calorie content of the food before ordering so you can make better judgment. Instead of ordering burgers, cakes, etc, order salad with dressing on the side, soups and healthy sandwiches
5. Enjoy each meal. Even if you are in a hurry, try to enjoy your lunch break and eat slowly to appreciate the food that you are eating. Drink water between bites as it will help satisfy your hunger better and can prevent eating more than your allowed calorie intake per day.
You owe it to yourself and to your love ones that you eat healthy even when at work. With these tips listed above, maintaining a balanced diet despite a busy and stressful life in the office is now a possibility.
Author’s Bio: Abie is a freelance blogger and article writer on various topics including Health and Fitness, Technology, Parenting, Travel and more. One of her projects is for the site Pak30.fr where you can find Pak30 sac Eastpak.