It’s that time of year, when we are inundated by back to school sales and media coverage. To help you get ready, here is a list of the top five back to school products for 2010. These are the top solutions I have used with my kids that go beyond the pens, paper, backpacks, and other usual back to school items. This year, let’s be ready for whatever challenges school throws at us and our kids!
(1) Sleeping & Studying in a Noisy environment: There are several great solutions for dealing with a noisy environment in a dormitory or in your home. Our favorite and most basic is the Marpac 980. This unit generates a “white noise”, which compensates for background noise so you can sleep or do homework. Stepping up in functions and sounds, there are also units from Sound Oasis which are programmable, have different sound cards and more. My older kids have a Marpac set up in the room they do homework. It doesn’t completely cover up the noise from our two year old, but does a nice job in making her sounds less distracting and helps cover TV noises from the other room.
(2) Keep from Getting Sick – Deal with the germs: With hundreds (sometimes thousands) of people living close together, a cold or flu can tear through a college campus. Especially for dorm dwellers who may be breathing recycled air in their building. A good air purifier can go a long way in keeping healthy during the school year. Since most dorm rooms are fairly small, there’s no reason to spend a fortune on a high capacity unit. Something like an Airfree air purifier is usually perfect for a dorm, just plug it in, put it out of the way where there is good air flow and eradicate the germs floating into the room. Plus, these units look really cool.
(3) The Water Taste Horrible – Fix your dorm water cheap! Dorm water is never going to taste as good as water from home, but you don’t want to spend tons of money on bottled water or throw those bottles into the landfill. Make an investment into a high quality water purifier that doesn’t require plumbing changes, like a Berkey water purifier. Just fill it up every once and a while and you have good tasting water ready to drink.
(4) Wake up in Time for Class (or for the bus): A startling, buzzing alarm clock is never a good way to wake up. Waking to the natural morning light provides allows one to feel more rested and ready to face the day. Of course, waiting for the sun to rise is probably not an option. A sun alarm clock provides a great way to wake up from a gradual light filling the room. A sun alarm clock is a great way to get the day off to a good start.
(5) Fall Asleep – Even When Stressed Out: Back to school can be very stressful for youngsters and older kids alike. I’ve had issues with my kids not being able to get to sleep because of eternal factors like school. A Nightwave solves the problem naturally… period. No need for drugs or anything else that can have harmful effects.
Don’t forget to check out other great back to school solutions at Better Health Innovations. Live, learn, & stay healthy this school year!